Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Kiva

I guess I should start with the beginning.

The first step in my quest to change the world, was to make a loan through Kiva.

What is Kiva?

Well it's pretty simple really.
Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world.
(From
the Kiva website)
Basically, you put forward a loan from as little as US$25. You decide who gets this loan. Along with a number of other people, you raise the money, the person gets the loan - usually to expand small businesses - and slowly pays it back. You can either get your money back, or loan it to someone else.

This is all done as transparently as possible - you know exactly which microloan organisation is working for the borrower, you even get blog updates. There is a low default rate, but US$25 is a nice little donation if that is the case.

I highly recommend a loan to someone at Kiva - I've made one loan already and I'm hoping to make regular loans as money is available.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I love this idea! It sounds great, and I really want to get invloved!